Usually, I only update the game on the 1st and 15th days of the month…but, I’m making an exception today.
My next tasks involve changing the way that the camera works, changing the way that the game handles controller input, and potentially, and changing the way that the game handles save data. If I screw up, a lot of things could break. So, before uploading a new build with those changes, I want to upload a build that is as stable as possible, so that you have a build to “fall back” to, if the next build has stability issues.
So, with that in mind, I’m releasing today’s build: a build that is (hopefully) as stable as possible, with a lot of bugs fixed, and some new features that you might be interested in checking out!
To see a list of everything that was added, changed, or fixed in the latest build, scroll down past this absolutely adorable artwork of Supana Churu by Aurora859651347!
“Bucket Full of Weights” murder method replaced with “Sabotaged Air Conditioner” murder method
It is now possible to use a pipe wrench to disconnect an air conditioning unit from the school rooftop to make it fall on Osana’s head when she’s standing in the school cafeteria.
I think that this is way better than the previous method. Let’s admit it, “Put a bunch of dumbbells into a bucket and drop the bucket onto a girl’s head” was goofy as hell. Sabotaging a piece of the environment is much more “devious” and a lot easier to take seriously as a genuine way to realistically kill someone.
New Weapon Type Added: Strangulation Weapons
There is now a new type of weapon in the game: weapons that are wrapped around a victim’s neck to strangle them to death.
Six of these weapons now exist in the game:
- Garrote (available as a “Drop” from Info-chan)
- Earphones (found in the Light Music Club)
- Jump Rope (found in the gym storage room)
- Measuring Tape (found in the sewing room)
- Necklace (found in the occult club)
- Stethoscope (found in the infirmary)
The animation for strangling a victim to death can only be performed from behind, and lasts for 10 seconds.
“Wait a minute, YandereDev. Why would anyone use a strangulation weapon for a silent bloodless kill, if it’s possible to do the same thing with a blunt weapon, only much faster?”
Why, indeed! It’s because I’m planning on nerfing blunt weapons in the future. They were way too OP, and nobody ever played with any other type of weapon, which made the game incredibly boring. That’s right, blunt weapons are getting the “Garbage Bag Box Treatment” in a future update. Sorry, but blunt weapons – in their current implementation – are extremely unhealthy for the game. They need to change.
Surface-Based Footstep Sounds
Up until now, the sounds of the protagonist’s footsteps were always the same, no matter what surface the protagonist was walking on; feet always produced a “walking on concrete” sound effect, even when walking on grass.
Good news, though! From now on, the protagonist’s footsteps will make a “walking on grass” sound effect when walking on grass, a “walking on dirt” sound effect when walking on dirt, and a “walking on hard surface” sound effect when walking on anything else. Whoa, technology!
This might sound like a minor feature, but seriously, the whole “feel” of the game immediately changed once I set foot on the grass and heard the sound of actual grass instead of concrete. The game just got a bit closer to feeling like an AAA game rather than a no-budget indie game.
Of course, this improvement isn’t limited to just grass and dirt! Now that the game has the ability to detect what type of surface the player is working on, I can potentially have sounds for walking on carpet, walking on stone, walking on wood, etc! Those will be coming in a future update.
Easter Egg Adjustments
From now on, when activating any of the game’s easter eggs, the following will occur:
- The student council will lose the ability to pepper spray you.
- Raibaru will no longer be able to break your arm.
- All students will obtain the Coward Persona.
- The Journalist will disappear.
- Senpai will become blind.
Hopefully, these changes will make it easier to have fun messing around with easter eggs without being interrupted by things like Raibaru or the Journalist.
- In the previous build, I gave Ryoba a “no ponytail” hair model to use when she is in her room at nighttime. I didn’t mention it because there were some physics problems I wanted to fix before announcing it as a feature. As of now, the physics problems have been fixed.
- Improved the 3D model of the Headmaster’s safe in Mission Mode. (The safe only appears if the “You must steal the contents of a safe” objective is active.)
- The key for the headmaster’s safe now has a different texture than the key for the headmaster’s katana case.
- It’s no longer possible to open a safe with a lockpick. That’s just…not how safes or lockpicks work.
- The act of printing copies at a copying machine now produces sound effects.
- Updated the portrait that Ayano uses on the Stats screen.
- If the player was attempting to speedrun the Kokona tutorial, it was possible to softlock the game during the “Reputation and Socializing” tutorial. By talking to Kokona too fast, the player could apologize to Kokona before the tutorial instructed the player to do so, causing the tutorial to get stuck and never advance. This bug has been fixed.
- If the player dismembered a corpse or created puddles of blood at school, and the police were called, and then got caught by a teacher and was about to be sent to the guidance counselor, a blank black screen would display for several seconds before the End-of-Day sequence would begin. This bug has been fixed.
- If the player eliminated a rival, and then, on a subsequent week, forced that rival to commit suicide as a mind-broken slave, and let the police find her corpse, the Calendar “Stats” screen would not update to reflect the fact that the police were aware that the rival was dead. This bug has been fixed.
- If the player was sent to the counselor while limbs were present on school grounds, the limbs would not get discovered or reported, and the player would be able to speak to the counselor and leave the counselor without the police getting called. This was unintentional, and it is no longer possible.
- If the player instructed a mind-broken slave to commit suicide, waited until after the slave was dead, and then tried to attend class, the “Can’t attend class; a murder is taking place!” notification would appear, and the player wouldn’t be able to attend class. This bug has been fixed.
- If Raibaru noticed an object dropped on the ground while walking to an event, she would pick the object up, then continue to the location of the event, whereupon the object would teleport out of its hands to where it belonged. This bug has been fixed.
- If the player dismembered a corpse, wrapped the body parts in garbage bags, and put the dismembered parts into the girls’ shower building, boys would enter the girls’ shower building to get the garbage bags. This bug has been fixed.
- If the police came to school and discovered the corpse of a student who had taken their own life, the End-of-Day sequence would end with a message like “the police leave the school to look for the killer.” This bug has been fixed.
- If the player activated the incinerator while students were on their way to dump garbage bags into the incinerator, students would dump garbage into it anyway, even though that’s not meant to be possible. This bug has been fixed.
- If the player befriended Kaguya and then approached her while she was staring at a cat on subsequent weeks, she would fail to play the “waving hello to a friend” animation properly. This bug has been fixed.
- After a student put a garbage bag into the incinerator, there was a chance that the student would get stuck and permanently think that their destination was the incinerator. This bug has been fixed.
- If the player joined the delinquents and then spoke to any student, that student would use “Empty Husk” Club Leader lines from before club leaders were added to the game. This bug has been fixed.
- If the player kidnapped a rival on the same day that the rivals’ reputation was reduced below -150, the rival would commit suicide even though she had been kidnapped. This bug has been fixed.
- After the player matchmade their rival and watched the confessing-under-cherry-tree cutscene, attempting to go into first-person mode would break the camera. This bug has been fixed.
- If a teacher witnessed a player sneaking around in the faculty room, the teacher would say “Hmm” instead of speaking a line about the player trespassing. This bug has been fixed.
- When inside of the Home scene, the protagonist’s skirt was being affected by colliders on the protagonist’s hips, causing the skirt to behave strangely. This bug has been fixed.
- Sometimes, students performing the “group takedown” animation on the protagonist would face the wrong direction while performing that animation. This bug should be fixed now.
- If the player was using the Girly Persona and any student ever dropped any object at any time, the object would teleport to the player’s position. This bug has been fixed.
- If a kidnapped victim’s sanity is reduced to 0, their idle animation is supposed to change – but this feature wasn’t working in the previous build. It’s working now.
- If a teacher witnessed a player misbehaving, the player would lose reputation – even though teachers are not meant to participate in gossip. This bug has been fixed.
- Fixed bug that would cause Moeko to perform a “sitting in midair” animation when waiting to perform her “pyromaniac” activity.