Hello! Happy New Year!
I’m sure you’re curious about the status of the 202X Tutorial, so here’s an update: 14/15 tutorials are complete, and all of the voice acting is recorded, but the cutscene hasn’t been completed yet. There is very little standing in the way of the tutorial being released, but it depends entirely on the availability of the animator in charge of the cutscene. If it takes too long, though, I’ll just release the tutorial with a simplified cutscene, and replace it later.
Don’t worry, though – every day not spent working on the tutorial was spent working on other aspects of the game. I have a new build prepared with 25 improvements and 33 bug fixes. To see the full changelog – and read about my plans for the near future – scroll down past an amazing illustration by MiaOtaku and a fantastic render by a Japanese fan named Saitou Keiji!
Why a bunnygirl suit? Because it’s currently the “Year of the Rabbit” according to the Chinese zodiac!
Osana/Raibaru Jank Fixed
- If you used a stink bomb to separate Raibaru from Osana and then killed Osana while Raibaru was wearing a swimsuit, Raibaru would forget to change out of the swimsuit and would remain in the swimsuit afterwards. This bug has been fixed.
- If you separated Raibaru from Osana and killed Osana at lunchtime, Raibaru would perform an “eating food” animation at her desk instead of performing the eating animation at her usual lunch spot. This bug has been fixed.
- If you attacked Raibaru immediately after using a stink bomb on her, Raibaru would spin around during/after the “breaking your arm and apprehending you” animation. This bug has been fixed.
- If you used a stink bomb on Raibaru, and then immediately killed Osana in a way that would cause her to scream, Raibaru would completely ignore Osana’s death. This bug has been fixed.
- If you killed Osana with a weapon attack during her Thursday pool event, she would not play a “being attacked” animation. This bug has been fixed.
- When the player runs indoors/outdoors, the protagonist automatically changes her shoes from indoor shoes to outdoor shoes. However, this was interfering with mods that change the protagonist’s textures. From now on, the game will check if the protagonist’s texture is something other than the expected texture. If it’s not the expected texture, the player must be using a mod, so the “change shoes automatically” script will stop running.
- The events of 202X mode take place 1 year after Yandere Simulator’s release date. Because Yandere Simulator’s development will continue throughout 2023 and its earliest possible release date is now March 31st 2024, the timeline that appears at the end of the 1908s Mode “True Ending” has been adjusted so that the events of 202X Mode now take place during 2025.
- It is no longer possible to join a club after 5:30 PM on a Friday. This is because the player wouldn’t be able to perform a club activity with the club that week, and thus the player would just get kicked out of the club immediately after 6:00 PM.
- Ayano will now drop her bookbag / weaponbag when changing clothing or taking a shower. It just doesn’t make sense for her to retain those objects on her body when she’s removing her clothing or showering.
- When Osana finds Raibaru’s corpse (or when Raibaru finds Osana’s corpse) she has a special scripted reaction to the corpse. Sakyu and Inkyu now have the same type of extreme scripted reaction.
- From now on, the “Cinematic Camera” (aim the phone camera and then press the left alt key to make the camera freeze in place) can now only be used if the player has activated Debug Commands.
- From now on, male students will stop “admiring” Chigusa if she is sleeping in the infirmary, since they all recognize how weird it is to creep on a sleeping girl.
- The electric stoves in the Home Ec room looked way too modern for 1989, so they have been replaced with traditional stoves (but only when playing in 1980s Mode).
- The delinquent girls in 1980s Mode now sit in a different place at lunchtime on Week 4, so that the player can’t kill Sumiko too quickly or easily at lunchtime.
- Security cameras will no longer consider you to be suspicious for carrying a concealed body, if you’re carrying the body at Cleaning Time.
- The act of carrying a bloody painter’s smock will no longer be considered suspicious, since people will assume that it’s red paint.
- Your mop now becomes bloody after cleaning up the bloody mess that Osana leaves behind after the fan elimination.
- The “Visibly Bloody” warning will no longer appear onscreen if you are bloody while wearing a painter’s smock.
- Raibaru will no longer reposition herself when the player is talking to Osana, since it looked really awkard.
- Updated the appearance of the young child character visible in the town in 1980s Mode.
- Created new student portraits for Horuda and the gardening club girls.
- Updated Riku’s hair model (which hadn’t been changed since 2014).
- Replaced the hair models of Horuda, Yuna, and Beshi.
- It is now possible to edit Senpai with Pose Mode.
- Updated the appearance of the nurse in 202X Mode.
- If the player tried to perform a club activity during a Mission Mode mission, they would just get an instant game over. This is because the only acceptable way to end the day in Mission Mode is by exiting the school using the pink “portal” near the entrance. From now on, the player is no longer allowed to attempt to perform club activities during Mission Mode.
- If the player alarmed a student council member and got sent to the counselor while the student council member was investigating a suspicious object on the ground, the student council member would forget the thing they were investigating and would also stop reacting to the player’s actions. This bug has been fixed.
- If a student council member was reacting to a corpse, and the player approached that student council member holding a non-suspicious weapon, the council member would shove the player and then forget about the corpse. This bug has been fixed.
- If the player tranqulized a student, put her into the kidnapping box, then did the delinquent beat-em-up minigame, then returned to the kidnapping box, the tranquilized student would be T-posing outside of the box. This bug has been fixed.
- Fixed bug that would cause a rival and her suitor to slide across the ground in circles if the player was sent to the counselor while the rival and suitor were under the confession tree waiting to perform their confession animation.
- If the player repeatedly giggled in the presence of a faculty member, they would eventually get angry and say the “I’m sending you to the guidance counselor” voice line, but nothing would happen. This bug has been fixed.
- Fixed bug that would prevent the game from acknowledging that a rival had been eliminated if the rival was dismembered after her death, but the dismembered limbs were not disposed of and were discovered by the police.
- Fixed bug that could result in a character “glitching” out of the “having a physical struggle” state if they entered that state while they were in the middle of the “turning off noisy radio” state.
- Fixed bug that would prevent a student from finding their phone on their desk the first time they checked their desk, if they had been performing a “patrol” action before their phone went missing.
- Fixed bug that would prevent characters from being able to pathfind properly if the player saved and loaded the game while a student was performing a “reacting to camera” animation.
- Fixed bug that would cause a teacher to run around to the other side of a corpse when inspecting the corpse, instead of approaching the corpse in a straight line to investigate it.
- Fixed rendering error that would cause the trash cans underneath the tables in the Science Lab to flicker in and out of existence depending on the camera angle.
- Fixed bug that would prevent the game from rendering the ground properly when the ground was viewed through the little windows near the bottom of the gym walls.
- Fixed bug that was preventing the game from remembering how many photographs the player had taken when the player saved and loaded their game while at school.
- There was a bug that would allow the player to complete Kuu Dere or Geiju’s Tasks by simply giving them a book from the library. This bug has been fixed.
- Fixed bug that would cause tarp bags to float in midair if the player picked one up or set one down nearby the spot where the tarp bags had spawned.
- Fixed bug that would cause the player to automatically get kicked out of their club if they hadn’t attended a club activity on Friday specifically.
- Fixed bug that would prevent the protagonist’s club accessory from re-activating if she put on club clothing while inside of the shower building.
- Fixed bug that prevented Sanity from dropping during circumstances when it was supposed to drop (such as using the fan elimination on Osana).
- Fixed bug that would cause bully characters to write bully grafitti on their own desks if they found their lost phone on their desk.
- Fixed bug that would prevent the game from advancing forward to the next day if the player played the Maid Cafe Minigame on Sunday.
- Fixed bug that would cause Chigusa’s fans to fail to return to their routines properly after she had been expelled from school.
- Fixed bug that would cause Dafuni Bureiku to float in mdair on Tuesday if she witnessed Ayano commit murder on Monday.
- Fixed bug that prevented the YouTube Chat Interaction “Summon Nemesis” feature from actually making Nemesis appear.
- Fixed bug that gave the Student Council girls unusually fast “looking at you with curiosity” animations.
- It is no longer possible to attend class while Osana is running to inform Senpai of a corpse or murder.
- Fixed bug that would prevent teachers from being able to pathfind to corpses on the school gym stage.
- Fixed bug that was preventing amnesia bombs from working properly in the Alphabet Killer Challenge.
- The player’s Physical Strength is now automatically set to max in the Alphabet Killer Challenge.
- Fixed bug that would cause the car battery to disappear if the player saved and loaded the game.
- Fixed bug that allowed the player to take “Sneak Panty Shot” photos from behind walls.
- Fixed bug that caused Miyuji to appear as though she had two pairs of eyebrows.
- Fixed bug with Otohiko’s portait.
✔️ Rendering Changes
I made some adjustments to the way that the game renders the school environment in this build. If it lowered the framerate, or if it created some new rendering bugs, please tell me, and I’ll revert the changes in the next build.
✔️ Annual Patreon Transparency Report
It’s January, and that means it’s time for me to write one of my yearly Patreon Transparency Reports, where I disclose how much money I made from Patreon this year, and how it was spent. That post will be coming soon – if not later today, then within the next few days, for sure.
✔️ More Patreon Previews
I always feel worried that I’m not posting things on Patreon frequently enough, so here are some things I plan to post in the near future:
- ✔️ Concept art for two new rooms being added to the school in the near future
- ✔️ Information about the upcoming character models, including preview images
- ✔️ A list of items remaining on the “things I want to add to the game before the crowdfunding campaign” checklist.
I’m always trying to brainstorm cool things that I could be posting on my Patreon (that wouldn’t subtract from development time), so if you think of anything that would be a good Patreon reward, please let me know!
✔️ Japanese Fan Appreciation Post
Over the past year, I’ve been building a collection of extremely impressive Yandere Simulator fan art, which was created by Japanese fans of the game. Usually, I include a piece of fan art in every blog post…but at this point, I have DOZENS of Japanese fan illustrations, and even if I made 5 new blog posts every month, it would still take me years to share all of this cool artwork. So, I was thinking of doing a single massive “Check out all this cool artwork!” post – a Japanese Fan Appreciation Post where I put a spotlight on the amazing artists who have produced gorgeous Yandere Sim fan art over the past year. The start of a new year seems like the appropriate time to do that, so that blog post will probably be coming soon. I hope you’ll enjoy it!
More Videos on 2nd Channel
I have a massive number of ideas for short/simple videos that I’d like to upload to my secondary YouTube channel, but I almost never go out of my way to create those videos, because I keep thinking to myself, “I should use that time to work on the game, instead…” however, if the majority of people would be okay with it, I’d really love to upload more short/simple videos to that channel. So, let me know in the comments how you feel.
I don’t mention this very often (once a year, in fact) but I started streaming video games on January 17th, 2009. Every year, on Jan 17th and 19th, I celebrate my “streaming anniversary” by streaming the first two games I ever streamed. I’ll be upholding the tradition again this year, so stop by my stream on those days, if you’d like to celebrate with me.
Wow! That was a lot of different topics to discuss. I hope that you’re looking forward to all of these things that’ll be happening in the near future!
Once again, Happy New Year – and thank you for following the development of Yandere Simulator!