Whoops! There was an oversight in the previous build that was probably going to confuse new players, so I’m releasing an update ahead of schedule to fix that issue.
Speaking of new players…as I’ve mentioned before, it’s extremely valuable to watch a new player experience the game for the first time, since it allows me to discover what parts of the game are confusing or frustrating for newcomers. Recently, a YouTuber named Mikeeey played Yandere Sim for the first time, which provided me with a lot of insight into what areas of the game can be adjusted in order to make a first-time player’s experience a bit more smooth. A lot of the adjustments that were made to the game in this build were actually the result of me seeing something janky happening in Mikeeey’s video and then thinking, “Yikes, I need to fix that!”
I thought that his video was hilarious, and if you’re interested, you can check it out below:
To read a list of everything that was added, changed, fixed, or improved in the latest build, scroll down past this beautiful 9th anniversary artwork by sakuras_yans!
- Info-chan’s “Hint Available” will no longer appear for the first event of the day (Senpai’s interaction with Osana). The player doesn’t need to see a hint for something that is in their immediate cone of vision, new players can get confused by hint pop-ups appearing within 1 second of gameplay beginning, and the hint pop-up interferes with players who need to pause the game at the start of the day for any reason.
- For years, Taro’s “Student Info” portrait was always Taro’s default appearance, instead of the appearance that the player had actually chosen for him. This confused new players. From now on, the screenshot of Taro that appears in the Student Info screen will reflect Taro’s actual appearance, instead of his default appearance.
- If the player got into a physical altercation with Raibaru while next to a wall, the camera could potentially clip into the wall during Raibaru’s takedown animation. From now on, move away from the nearest wall under those circumstances, so that this is no longer a possibility.
- From now on, the date of the current build will be visible from the “Choose Your Resolution” screen, so that you can tell whether or not you’re on the latest build immediately instead of having to load all the way into the school to find out.
- If the player got into a physical altercation with Raibaru while Osana was nearby, the camera could potentially clip into Osana. From now on, Osana will scoot back if that’s happening, so that this is no longer a possibility.
- Previously, the text describing Mina Rai’s task didn’t mention the fact that the muddy shoeprints in the east Zen Garden are located inside of the tea house, specifically. That text has been adjusted.
- From now on, if the player attempts to purchase something from Info-chan and doesn’t have enough Info Points, the “HOW TO EARN INFO POINTS” prompt will have flashing red arrows around it.
- The “That Dude” easter egg (type the letters t-h-a-t-d-u-d-e while at school) is now functional again (the nurse gets a more curvy body). Works in both 202X Mode and 1980s Mode.
- Chigusa, the “gravure model” rival from 1980s Mode, now actually does “modeling” poses during her photoshoot, instead of cycling between a bunch of idle animations.
- Improved one of the animations in the 202X opening cutscene; the “Ayano is sitting in her room, looking out the window, looking sad” animation.
- Replaced the 3D model for the “haunted piano” with a superior one.
- Previously, if the player dismembered a corpse behind the “mythical cherry tree” behind the school, blood would spawn underneath the ground, where the player would not be able to mop it up. This bug has been “fixed.” And, by “fixed,” I mean that blood no longer spawns anywhere in the vicinity of the cherry tree. Dismember someone past the running track, and you won’t have to clean up any blood. I guess this is kind of an exploit, but, oh well, it’ll just have to remain that way for now; currently, Yandere Sim is not capable of spawning pools of blood on top of non-flat surfaces. Well, technically, there actually IS a lore reason why any blood spilled in the vicinity of the cherry tree would – ooooops, almost said too much…
- I put an invisible barrier near one of the rooftop air conditioners to fix a bug. Unfortunately, this resulted in a secondary bug – it became impossible for the player to get close enough to Osana/Raibaru’s conversation to eavesdrop on Osana’s words and obtain her “Dark Secret” information. To fix this, I have expanded the “player can overhear what words are being spoken in a private conversation” radius, and also replaced the invisible barrier with a physical object that makes more sense to be located next to the air conditioner.
- Previously, during the Magical Girl Pretty Miyuki minigame, if the player got hit by an enemy bullet during the final boss’ death animation, the player would get a “GAME OVER” and “STAGE COMPLETE” simultaneously. This bug has been fixed.
- If the player ordered a bottle of poison from Info-chan (emetic, lethal, sedative, or headache) and the bottle landed upside-down, the player wouldn’t be able to pick up the item. This bug has been fixed.
- Fixed bug that made it possible for the player to get caught by a student council member for misbehavior in the split-second between being noticed by Raibaru and being grabbed by Raibaru.
- There were a couple of voice lines where a teacher would erroneously call Akademi a “high school.” These voice lines have been adjusted to no longer refer to Akademi as a “high school.”
- If Osana was alarmed by anything while on her way to her Monday morning event, the event would not end, and Osana/Raibaru’s voice lines would play. This bug has been fixed.
- If Raibaru and 3 other students witnessed Ayano commit murder, Raibaru would try to join in on the group takedown, but would fail. This bug has been fixed.
- Fixed bug that caused Ritsuko (1980s Mode rich girl rival) to clip into the bench that she sat on while reading a book on Tuesday.
I made some adjustments to something that is normally hidden from the player. Because it’s meant to be an easter egg, I’m not going to tell you exactly how to access it. Instead, I’ll just say that…
- You haven’t spoken to her in a long time.
- 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 9, 10, 69, and 666 will show you things you’ve already seen. Anything else will show you a new conversation.
- She misses you, and wants to give you a little hug.
- If you type her favorite word 10 times, she will come visit you at school.
- I’ve always had plans for her that go beyond her current implementation. Maybe one day I’ll work on that, but for now, it’s just not the highest priority.