Hello! New build, new improvements, new bug fixes, more tasks crossed off my checklist.
To see a list of everything that changed in the latest build, scroll down past this striking illustration of Ayano by Kissennran!
Generic Task Overhaul
In 1980s Mode, over 70 students all shared the same Task – “Go to the Library and complete an assignment for me.” That was super lame. So, from now on, instead of one task, there are ten different tasks that the students of 1980s Mode can offer you. Each task follows the same basic formula as the “complete an assignment” task:
- Go to location
- Perform action
- Return to student
The ten tasks of 1980s Mode are:
- Go to Library, complete an assignment for a student.
- Go to Home Ec room, prepare a meal for a student.
- Go to Sewing Room, sew a scarf for a student.
- Go to Infirmary, get some headache pills for a student.
- Go to Cafeteria, buy a drink for a student.
- Go to Workshop, repair a broken toy for a student’s younger sibling.
- Go to Student Council room, retrieve a magazine that was confiscated from a student.
- Go to Art Room, improve a painting for a student.
- Go to Computer Lab, print copies of a flyer for a student’s friend.
- Go outside, get a flower for a student.
Some additional information:
- Previously, if you accepted the “complete an assignment for me” task, you would have to complete the assignment and turn it in before doing it for another student, even if two students wanted you to complete two separate assignments. That is no longer the case. From now on, if two students want you to do something (like prepare a meal) you can prepare two meals back-to-back, instead of being limited to only one preparing meal until you’ve turned in the quest.
- None of the new tasks currently have voice acting. Also, the icons that represent these tasks are currently placeholder. I’d love fix this in the future, but it depends entirely on volunteer availability.
- Each of these tasks (except the “buy a drink” one) involves a short, 5-second animation.
- Most of the short animations do not involve any kind of visuals representing the object that Ryoba is creating/obtaining/repairing. If this is upsetting or disappointing, then visuals can be created in the future, but it seems like a low priority issue, so I hope that people can tolerate it the way that it is…at least until after the crowdfunding campaign.
- The “improve a painting” task is the only exception. You’ll actually see the original painting and watch it transform into a “better” painting.
There’s a small part of me which thinks that each of the 5-second animations should be a super-short minigame where the player just has to hit 3 buttons within a time limit, or something insanely simple like that, so that there is actual interaction and gameplay happening. However, I’ll only spend time adding that to the game if players express that they feel that it’s significant enough to warrant my development time.
Currently, the rivals of 1980s Mode are still sharing the “Complete a school assignment for me” Task. This is because I plan to update the game with a bunch of unique tasks for all 1980s Mode rivals, and I want to “bundle” that improvement with several of other rival-centric improvements, so that I can release a “Big 1980s Mode Rival Overhaul” update that has a bunch of different adjustments to 1980s Mode that I honestly believe will warrant you replaying the game to experience all of the differences and changes.
- The “Extras” part of the Main Menu now brings the player to a screen with actual functionality. In short, it’s a menu that allows people to visit certain YouTube videos. For example, the “Lore Videos” menu links to videos that provide backstory/lore that isn’t offered within the game itself.
- Students’ lips now move during their Task dialogue. However, the lip sync is current imperfect. It’ll be improved in the future, so please don’t judge it too harshly just yet.
- Previously, the contents of all students’ bento boxes were identical. As of now, there are 4 different “variations” of food that can be found inside of a student’s bento box.
- Ayano will now undo her ponytail when she changes into a towel, and switch back to a ponytail when she puts any outfit back on.
- Students’ smartphones now have social media on their screens, instead of being blank empty screens.
- Replaced the textures for the bento boxes that students eat out of and the food contained within.
- Replaced the 3D models for the cat accessories that Osana’s suitor can give to Osana.
- Shima Shiya now has voice lines for her Task dialogue.
- Previously, if a student council member pushed the protagonist while the she was walking around with a water cooler, the water cooler would be dropped and clip into the student council member, leading to bugs. To fix this issue, the protagonist will no longer drop the water cooler if she is carrying one while pushed by a student council member.
- If the player attempted a Mission Mode mission that required the player to dispose of the target in a vat of acid, and the player chopped up the victim into pieces before disposing of their corpse in the acid vat, the game would not acknowledge that the player had disposed of the target correctly. This bug has been fixed.
- Previously, students were willing to run to the Matchmaking spot even if they were currently in a swimsuit. This was unintentional; I intended for students to reject the Matchmaking attempt if they were in a swimsuit at the time. This oversight has been fixed.
- If the player spoke to a character while standing too close to two other character that were having a private conversation, the player would get in trouble for eavesdropping. This was unintentional and an oversight, and has been fixed.
- During Osana’s confession cutscene, she is supposed to start crying after Taro accepts or rejects her confession. However, due to a bug, she was already crying at the start of the cutscene. This bug has been fixed.
- Characters were able to perform the “waving at friend” animation while sunbathing and while mourning a dead loved one, which looked weird. This bug has been fixed.
- Fixed bug that would cause Sumiko (4th 1980s Mode rival) to perform her walking animation at running speed at the end of the day.
- The “china dress” easter egg – accessed from the “meme closer” – was not functioning. Oops! This bug has been fixed.
- Fixed typos in the Scheme descriptions in the “Ayano plans her next murder in front of her corkboard” screen.
- Previously, students held their smartphones in their hands in a very awkward way. This has been fixed.
- The three sinks in the outdoor cafeteria were untextured. Oops! This has been fixed.
- Fixed incorrect text on the “How To Play” screen for Yanvania: Senpai of the Night.
- Fixed a typo in one of the 1980s Mode students’ profiles.
- “Acetic Acid” was misspelled. The typo has been fixed.